A sweet vanilla cake is soaked in a three-milk syrup, covered in silky coconut whipped cream, then topped with sweet California strawberries. They are served mini mason jars, perfect for a dessert table or a party. Recipe by Dora’s Table.
Mini Vegan Tres Leches Cakes
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 4 oz mason jars, cupcake pan
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba liquid from a can of chickpeas
- 3 cups dairy free whipped topping
- 1 pint California strawberries hulled and sliced
To make the milk syrup:
- Combine three milks and sugar in a medium sauce pot. Bring to a low simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and remove from heat. Transfer to a container and let cool in the refrigerator until ready to use. You should have about 2 cups of milk syrup.
To make the cake
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a cupcake pan lightly with oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda and mix well. Add the milk-vinegar mixture to the bowl with the flour, add the oil, and vanilla, and whisk to bring it all together.
- In a large bowl, whip the aquafaba using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or a hand-held mixer, at medium-high speed until soft peaks form, about 4 minutes. Fold in the whipped aquafaba into the cake batter with a spatula, until it has completely incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake pan, filling each cup 2/3 of the way, and bake in the middle rack of the oven, for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven. Let the cupcakes cool for 5 min, and remove from the pan, and let cool completely on a rack.
- Cut 1 inch off the top of the cupcakes using a serrated knife. Place each cupcake inside of a 4 oz mason jar and poke the surface of the cake with a fork. Be sure to press the fork all the way down through the cake.
- Pour 2 1/2 tablespoons of the milk syrup into each cake. If necessary, use a knife to slide along the edge of the cake so the milk syrup pours down the side of the cake. When you’re ready to serve, top the cake with whipped topping, and arrange the sliced strawberries on top and serve.