Fluffy and moist strawberry cupcakes stuffed with creamy Nutella and topped with fresh strawberry buttercream. With both puréed strawberries and chopped strawberries in the batter, these cupcakes are bursting with strawberry flavor. The hazelnut cocoa surprise inside gives vibes of strawberry Nutella crepes. Recipe by Snixy Kitchen.
Nutella Stuffed Strawberry Cupcakes
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- Blender, hand mixer
- 1½ cups + 2 tablespoons 212g all-purpose flour (or 212g Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 7 Tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup 205g granulated sugar
- 3 large egg whites room temperature
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup whole milk room temperature
- 1/3 cup puréed California strawberries about 3 ounces
- ¼ cup chopped California strawberries about 1½ ounces
- 1/3 cup Nutella for stuffing
- ½ cup puréed California strawberries about 6 ounces
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups 360g powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp whole milk as needed
- 7 large strawberries halved, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line muffin tins with 14 liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides. Add the vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk and strawberry purée, scraping down the sides as needed, mixing until just combined.
- In a medium bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks with a whisk or hand mixer. Carefully fold the egg whites into the batter, until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Evenly divide the cake batter among the 14 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 23-26 minutes (for gluten-free, bake 25-27 minutes), rotating the pans after 15 minutes, until the center springs back when gently poked and a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few dry crumbs. Let cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack before stuffing and frosting.
- Meanwhile, prepare the strawberry compote for the buttercream. Reduce the strawberry purée. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, cook the strawberry puree, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly and reduced to 3-4 tablespoons, about 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge until completely cool.
- Once cupcakes are cool, use a small knife to cut an angled 1-inch circle out about 1-inch deep out of the top of each cupcake to create a hole for filling. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of Nutella into each pocket.
- Prepare the rest of the strawberry buttercream. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter over medium speed. With the mixer on low, slowly add the powdered sugar to the butter, in 3 batches, beating until incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and cooled strawberry compote and mix until smooth. Add the milk, starting with just 1 teaspoon and adding additional milk as needed, until frosting is smooth and spreadable.
- Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake, covering the Nutella pocket.
- Garnish with a halved strawberry.