Strawberry Cardamom Torte
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to Collection
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- About 30 strawberry halves cleaned and hulled
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp each cinnamon + cardamom for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 9-inch springform (you can use a different 9-inch baking dish but the springform will deliver the prettiest torte).
- In a medium bowl (or an electric stand mixer with the paddle attachment), cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the 2 large eggs and vanilla extract and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add directly on top of the butter mixture the flour, baking powder (I take extra effort to sprinkle the baking powder evenly about) and sea salt. Mix until just combined. This batter is crazy thick…you’ll think it’s wrong, but it’s not.
- Spoon the torte batter into the buttered springform and use the back of the spoon to evenly smooth the batter out to the edges of the pan.
- Place strawberries in a concentric pattern on the torte batter. Do not press them into the batter, just rest them on top. Place them close together; you’ll be surprised how they shrink and sink whilst baking.
- Sprinkle the top of the torte evenly with the 1 tablespoon of sugar, lemon juice, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45-50 minutes. Let it cool for at least 30 minutes and run a knife around the edges of the pan before trying to get it out.