Quinoa, Black Bean, and Strawberry Salad by Sylvia Klinger of Hispanic Foods Communications, Inc. is a high protein side dish packed with the fantastic benefits of California strawberries! In addition to containing 110% of the recommended Daily Value for vitamin C, one serving of strawberries can also provide fiber, potassium, and chronic disease fighting antioxidants. This salad also highlights strawberries’ versatility as they show off their savory side.
Quinoa, Black Bean, & Strawberry Salad
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped (½ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ¾ cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 14.5 oz can fat free chicken or vegetable broth (1½ cups)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 8.75 oz can or 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 15.5 oz can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 cups California strawberries cut in quarters
- 4 to 5 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup California strawberries quartered
- 1 to 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste optional
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook until lightly browned.
- Add quinoa, broth and seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Stir in corn and black beans and let cool or store overnight in refrigerator.
- In the meantime, mix all strawberry dressing ingredients in a blender. Blend for 30 seconds or until all the ingredients are well blended. Set aside in a small pitcher.
- Fold in California strawberries and cilantro. Serve cold over a bed of baby spinach leaves and drizzle strawberry dressing over plated quinoa salad.