Quinoa, Black Bean, and Strawberry Salad by Sylvia Klinger of Hispanic Foods Communications, Inc. is a high-protein side dish packed with the fantastic benefits of California strawberries! In addition to containing 100% of the recommended Daily Value for vitamin C, one serving of strawberries can also provide fiber, potassium, and chronic disease-fighting antioxidants. This salad also highlights strawberries’ versatility as they show off their savory side.
Quinoa, Black Bean, & Strawberry Salad
Yield: 4 -6 servings
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped (½ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ¾ cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 14.5 oz can fat free chicken or vegetable broth (1½ cups)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup or 8.75 oz can frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (15.5 oz) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, cut in quarters
- 4 to 5 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup strawberries, quartered
- 1 to 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste optional
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook until lightly browned.
- Add quinoa, broth and seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Stir in corn and black beans and let cool or store overnight in refrigerator.
- In the meantime, mix all strawberry dressing ingredients in a blender. Blend for 30 seconds or until all the ingredients are well blended. Set aside in a small pitcher.
- Fold in strawberries and cilantro. Serve cold over a bed of baby spinach leaves and drizzle strawberry dressing over plated quinoa salad.
Nutrition information calculated based on 6 serving yield.
Serving: 332g | Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 423mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 56mg