This Strawberry, Shrimp and Feta Salad is a hit! Did you know? Feta is a brined curd white cheese made traditionally in Greece from sheep’s milk or a mixture of sheep’s and up to 30% goat’s milk. In fact, only cheese following these exact specifications and made in particular areas of Greece are permitted to be called feta. This creamy cheese is tangy and mildly salty to the taste, with a hint of spicy sweet that makes for a great pairing with the juicy strawberries in this salad. Feta is also lower in fat and calories than other commonly consumed cheeses like Parmesan or cheddar.
Strawberry, Shrimp and Feta Salad
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¾ pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- 2 cups about 10 oz fresh California strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 8 cups mixed salad greens such as butter lettuce and watercress
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1 small cucumber sliced (about 24 slices)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp chopped shallots
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
To make Vinaigrette:
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl. Tilt the bowl to the side and whisk the vinaigrette quickly for a few seconds until emulsified; set aside.
To make Salad:
- In small bowl, toss onion with 1 tablespoon of vinaigrette; set aside.
- Over grill or in pan on stove top, grill shrimp 5 minutes, turning once, or until pink and cooked through.
- In another bowl, toss strawberries with 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette.
- In large bowl, toss greens and onion with enough of the remaining vinaigrette to coat lightly.
- Divide among 4 chilled salad plates and arrange strawberries and shrimp on top of greens.
- Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with slices of cucumber.