Make your mornings extra special with these Strawberry Oat Muffins with Strawberry-Orange Compote from Christy Wilson, RDN. They’re a great addition to your morning coffee, or any time of day, for that matter. Strawberries help give these muffins a nutritional boost. In fact, strawberries have natural plant flavonoids that provide powerful antioxidant properties. They also give these muffins a natural sweetness that you won’t be able to resist.
Strawberry Oat Muffins with Strawberry-Orange Compote
Strawberry Oat Muffins
- ½ cup pastry flour
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup turbinado raw sugar
- 2 Tbsp light-brown sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup 1 percent milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups frozen strawberries quartered or chopped into bite-sized pieces, tossed with one tsp of flour
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tsp orange juice
- 1 tsp honey
To make the Strawberry Oat Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly coat a standard 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray, or add paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, oats, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat milk, egg, butter and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir just until incorporated. Fold strawberries into mixture until combined.
- Portion batter equally between prepared muffin cups. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the Strawberry-Orange Compote:
- While muffins are baking, add all compote ingredients to a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Once mixture begins to simmer, turn down heat to medium-low, and simmer for about 10–12 minutes, stirring every so often. As strawberries cook and soften, mash fruit with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat, and allow compote to cool slightly. Spoon desired amount of compote over Strawberry Oat Muffins.
- Transfer remaining compote to a small jar. Store in refrigerator up to one week.