Everyone’s heard the saying “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” but that doesn’t mean it can’t also be flavorful and fun, too. Need proof? Check out Jenna Braddock’s Whole-Grain Strawberry Waffles with Strawberry Sauce. Using frozen strawberries for the sauce makes this recipe a breeze to put together. Plus, frozen strawberries are just as tasty and versatile as fresh strawberries, and boast just as many health benefits.
Whole Grain Strawberry Waffles with Strawberry Sauce
Whole-Grain Strawberry Waffles
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp vegetable oil or oil of choice
- 1½ cups skim milk
- ½ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup frozen strawberries chopped
- 3 cups frozen strawberries slightly softened
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta
To make Whole-Grain Strawberry Waffles:
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa, flaxseed, cornstarch, and baking powder to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together oil, milk, yogurt, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and whisk together until smooth and no lumps are present. Fold in chopped strawberries.
- Spray inside of waffle iron with cooking spray. Ladle batter on waffle iron, being careful not to pour too much. About ½ cup of batter per waffle square is a good starting place.
- Once waffle is done cooking, remove with tongs and put straight onto bare, preheated oven racks to keep warm until serving.
To make Strawberry Sauce:
- While the waffles are cooking, prepare strawberry sauce. Put 3 cups of slightly softened strawberries, cornstarch and sugar in blender or food processor. Pulse until strawberries are mealy and no large pieces remain.
- Pour contents into a saucepan, and heat over medium-low heat until a gentle boil occurs (about 5–8 minutes). Reduce to lowest setting until ready to serve.
- Top waffles with ½ cup ricotta per person, then pour strawberry sauce on top.