A delicious and easy to make skillet strawberry cobbler bursting with strawberry flavor! Topped with an extra tasty and tender biscuit, it’s perfect for soaking up the strawberry juices. Add your favorite ice cream for an ultimate dessert! Recipe by Quin Liburd of Butter Be Ready.
Southern Skillet Strawberry Cobbler
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 2 lbs frozen strawberries
- 2 Tbsp ghee or butter
- ½ cup maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup plain unsweetened kefir or buttermilk
- ½ cup ghee melted
- In a large cast iron skillet (at least 10-inches or larger), add in strawberries over medium heat. Gently toss strawberries together until they begin to release their juices, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in ghee all around the skillet and continue cooking/stirring until ghee has melted, about 2-3 minutes. Then sprinkle in sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cardamon, and salt. Stir mixture together to fully incorporate and continue cooking until sugar has melted, another 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add in cornstarch and water, and stir mixture together creating a slurry (thick sauce)Pour slurry mixture into skillet with strawberry filling and gently stir together. Then remove the skillet from heat and set aside while you prepare biscuit topping.
- In a medium-sized bowl: Whisk together both flours, baking soda, salt and sugar. Pour in buttermilk and melted ghee. Stir together until fully combined. Mixture will be somewhat thick. Take a large spoon and gently dollop spoonfuls of biscuit batter all over top of strawberry filling.
- Place the skillet on top of a large baking sheet as cobbler may bubble over; then place into oven and bake for 30 minutes or until biscuit tops are golden brown in color and cobbler is bubbly.
- Once done, allow the cobbler to cool for at least10 minutes.
- Serve strawberry cobbler warm with vanilla ice cream and fresh mint leaves as garnish, if desired.