This spicy strawberry chutney is the perfect way to get your strawberry fix during the cooler months. Paired with ooey-gooey baked Brie and crispy crostini, this easy recipe will impress even the most discerning foodies. Recipe by Andrea Traynor.
Spicy Strawberry Chutney with Baked Brie
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- Cast-iron pan
- Brie Baker
- 1 pound California strawberries hulled & quartered
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- Juice of half a fresh lemon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 jalapeños cored & diced
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger peeled & grated
- 4 cardamom pods partly cracked
- 4 whole cloves
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Wheel of Brie sized to fit your Brie Baker
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix strawberries in a medium-sized bowl with white sugar & lemon juice; set aside for up to 3 hours, stirring every 30 mins.
- In a cast iron pan over medium-high heat, dissolve brown sugar & apple cider vinegar; stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add jalapeños, red onion, ginger, cardamom, and cloves. Stir constantly for 5-6 minutes or until onions start browning.
- Add strawberry mixture (including juice); reduce heat to medium or medium-low, depending on your burner. Add a pinch (or more!) of red pepper flakes (to add extra heat, if desired)
- Stir frequently for 10 minutes or until mixture becomes thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Meanwhile, scrape off the top rind only of the brie, place in Brie Baker & bake uncovered for 15-17 minutes.
- Remove from heat & carefully remove cardamom pods and cloves.
- Serve spicy strawberry chutney spooned over top of cooked brie with crostini.
Notes : The chutney is spicier without the Brie accompaniment. Also delicious cold with goat cheese on rosemary crackers.
2 Comments on “Spicy Strawberry Chutney with Baked Brie”
Sue CraigSeptember 30, 2021 at 1:05 pm
Just made this – so easy. Very good even if you don’t toast the baguette. Will definitely become a familiar dish in my home.
CA StrawberriesOctober 5, 2021 at 3:17 pm
That’s great! Thank you for sharing!