No need to turn on the oven in the heat of summer for strawberry crisp. Easy stovetop strawberry compote topped with toasted buttery graham cracker crumble topping. Serve in a baking pan for a crowd or in individual bowls. Recipe by Snixy Kitchen.
Stovetop Graham Cracker Strawberry Crisp
Yield: 6 Servings
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
Graham Cracker Topping
- 1 cup 100g coarsely crushed graham crackers (gluten-free, if needed)
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ¼ cup oat flour gluten-free, if needed
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Optional for serving: vanilla ice cream
- 4 cups ~2lbs sliced California strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Mix together the graham crackers, brown sugar, oat flour, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the graham cracker mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the crumbs are completely moistened and starting to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Take care not to burn the crumbs.
- Transfer to a baking sheet to cool slightly.
- Toss the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until the strawberries start to release their juices, about 3-5 minutes. Whisk the corn starch with the water to make a slurry and slowly pour it into the strawberries while stirring. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until the syrup thickens, but the strawberries are still holding their shape. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer the cooked strawberries into a large serving dish or spoon into individual bowls. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over the top as desired. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.