Strawberry Basil Pesto Tartlets
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- Food processor, immersion blender
For the kalamata shortbread:
- 1 cup flour
- 6 Tbsp salted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives
For the pesto:
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp each kosher salt and pepper
- 10-12 large California strawberries
- 16-18 basil leaves
- 2 ½ oz Cambozola cheese sliced into 16-18 pieces
- Microgreens for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the shortbread, in the bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, butter and pepper to a fine crumb. Add olives and continue pulsing 5-6 times until olives are finely minced.
- Scrape dough onto a flat surface and knead a few times to form a ball. Dust surface lightly with flour and roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes using a 3-inch flower cookie cutter. Rework and roll out dough as needed to make 16-18 flowers.
- Gently transfer each flower into a muffin pan, allowing the petal ends to curl up the sides of muffin molds. Bake on center rack of oven for 12-13 minutes until bottoms and petal ends are light golden. Remove pan and let cool.
- For basil pesto, blend together basil, Parmesan, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper with a hand immersion blender. Set aside.
- Slice strawberries in half lengthwise; carve each half into a heart shape.
- Place a basil leaf on a shortbread flower, top with a slice of Cambozola, teaspoon of pesto and a strawberry heart. Repeat steps to make 16-18 tartlets.
- Garnish with microgreens just before serving.