Sweet strawberry cupcakes with swirls of strawberry American buttercream and strawberry puree. Garnished with fresh California strawberries
- 2 sticks butter room temp.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 4 eggs room temp
- 1 cup buttermilk room temp
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree
STRAWBERRY PUREE (for the buttercream, cake and piping):
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lb unsalted butter room temp
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree plus more for the piping bag
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- California strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line muffin tin (24) with liners.
- In large bowl add in the flour, baking powder and salt, mix to combine.
- Cream the butter.
- Add in the sugar, mix until light and fluffy.
- Add in one egg at a time, mix completely.
- Add in the flour mixture and buttermilk alternating each.
- Add in the vanilla and puree.
- Mix completely to combine.
- Pour batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool completely.
STRAWBERRY PUREE (for the buttercream, cupcakes and piping):
- Place everything in medium sauce pan.
- Mash strawberries as they begin to soften.
- Bring to a boil and then bring down to a simmer.
- Simmer until reduced by less than half stirring often, about 45 min.
- Make sure you watch the puree and stir so it does not burn.
- Let cool completely.
- Cream butter until pale yellow.
- With mixer on low add the powdered sugar one spoonful at a time alternating with the heavy cream/milk as needed.
- Add in the vanilla and strawberry puree, mix well to combine
- Take cooled cupcakes out of muffin tin.
- Streak piping bag in three sections with strawberry puree (not too much or it will be too runny, just enough to make a streak in the frosting when you pipe).
- Pipe each cupcake with buttercream and decorate with California strawberry.
- Store in cool dry place.