Sweet strawberry cupcakes with swirls of strawberry American buttercream and strawberry puree are a gorgeous dessert for any occasion. Garnish with fresh California strawberries.
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
STRAWBERRY PUREE (for the buttercream, cake and piping):
- 1 lb California strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup strawberry puree
- 1 lb unsalted butter room temperature
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- ½ cup strawberry puree plus more for the piping bag
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- California strawberries
STRAWBERRY PUREE (for the buttercream, cupcakes and piping):
- Place all puree ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Mash strawberries as they begin to soften.
- Bring to a boil and then bring down to a simmer.
- Simmer until reduced by less than half, stirring often, about 45 min.
- Make sure you watch the puree and stir so it does not burn.
- Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin tin (24) with liners.
- In large bowl, add in the flour, baking powder, and salt; mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter.
- Add the sugar to the butter; mix until light and fluffy.
- Add in one egg at a time; mix completely.
- Add in the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating each.
- Add in the vanilla and puree. Mix completely to combine.
- Pour batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool completely.
- Cream butter until pale yellow.
- With mixer on low, add the powdered sugar one spoonful at a time alternating with the heavy cream/milk as needed.
- Add in the vanilla and strawberry puree; mix well to combine.
- Take cooled cupcakes out of muffin tin.
- Streak piping bag in three sections with strawberry puree (not too much or it will be too runny, just enough to make a streak in the frosting when you pipe).
- Pipe each cupcake with buttercream and decorate with a California strawberry.
- Store in a cool, dry place.