Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies are a fun and easy way to make personal sized desserts! Use cookie cutters to create fun shapes with the top for extra festive pies.
Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies
- 4-inch cookie cutter (or mug, jar top, etc.)
- 1⅓ cups California strawberries finely chopped
- 1 cup rhubarb finely chopped
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour for dusting
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts (15 oz each)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- 1 Tbsp sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add all filling ingredients to a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes while stirring. Once the filling is bubbly and thickened, remove from heat and let it cool.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie dough so that it is ⅛ to ¼ inch thick.
- Using a 4-inch round cookie cutter (or any round object that is easy to trace), cut out 18 rounds of dough.
- Place 9 of the rounds of dough on the baking sheet.
- Place a large tablespoon of filling on the center of each of the rounds on the baking sheet.
- On the remaining dough rounds, use a knife to cut a small “X” in the middle to allow for ventilation when baking.
- Place a second round of dough on top of each round with filling, creating a sandwich. Press down the edges to seal.
- Place the completed pies in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- While the pies are refrigerating, whisk the egg with 1 tsp water to create an egg wash.
- Remove the pies from the refrigerator. Using a fork, crimp the edges around each pie.
- Lightly brush the top of each pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the pies for 25-30 minutes until they are puffed up and golden. Let them cool slightly and enjoy!