Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies are a fun and easy way to make personal sized desserts! Use cookie cutters to create fun shapes with the top for extra festive pies.
Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 4-inch cookie cutter (or mug, jar top, etc.)
- 1⅓ cups California strawberries finely chopped
- 1 cup rhubarb finely chopped
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour for dusting
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts (15 oz each)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- 1 Tbsp sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add all filling ingredients to a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes while stirring. Once the filling is bubbly and thickened, remove from heat and let it cool.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie dough so that it is ⅛ to ¼ inch thick.
- Using a 4-inch round cookie cutter (or any round object that is easy to trace), cut out 18 rounds of dough.
- Place 9 of the rounds of dough on the baking sheet.
- Place a large tablespoon of filling on the center of each of the rounds on the baking sheet.
- On the remaining dough rounds, use a knife to cut a small “X” in the middle to allow for ventilation when baking.
- Place a second round of dough on top of each round with filling, creating a sandwich. Press down the edges to seal.
- Place the completed pies in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- While the pies are refrigerating, whisk the egg with 1 tsp water to create an egg wash.
- Remove the pies from the refrigerator. Using a fork, crimp the edges around each pie.
- Lightly brush the top of each pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the pies for 25-30 minutes until they are puffed up and golden. Let them cool slightly and enjoy!