Looking for the perfect last-minute appetizer or snack that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser? Look no further than these Strawberry Shells, made out of wonton wrappers, fresh California strawberries, and creamy mascarpone cheese. The combination of textures and flavors is sure to keep everyone coming back for more!
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- ⅓ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups about 1 pound stemmed California strawberries
- 6 oz ¾ cup mascarpone or whipped cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp Grand Marnier or orange juice
- 12 fresh mint leaves optional
- Heat oven to 325ºF.
- Arrange wonton wrappers on work surface. Evenly brush tops of each with butter.
- In small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon sugar mixture over each wrapper; press lightly to make sugar mixture adhere.
- Carefully transfer each wrapper to a cup of an ungreased muffin tin; press down to form a cup.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, fan strawberries by cutting 4 to 5 slices into each, cutting 3/4 of the way through. Lay strawberry on its side; press down gently to fan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together mascarpone cheese, honey and Grand Marnier; spoon scant tablespoon into each wonton cup. Garnish with strawberries and mint, if desired. Makes 12 cups.