Preserve strawberries by making a strawberry shrub! Mix with sparking water for a delicious & refreshing drink!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Wait time: 16 hours
Total Time: 16 hours 10 minutes
Calories: 72kcalPrint Recipe
- 1 ½ cup strawberries hulled and chopped
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- Dice strawberries into ½ inch pieces.
- Add sugar and salt into a large bowl and mix in strawberry pieces.
- Stir well so that the strawberries are fully coated in the sugar mixture.
- Leave the bowl covered on your kitchen counter for 4 hours, stirring occasionally (about every hour).
- The mixture should turn into a bright red syrup.
- After 4 hours, add one cup of white wine vinegar and mix well.
- Cover and put the mixture in the refrigerator. Let it sit for at least 12 hours.
- Strain the fruit out of the syrup.
- To enjoy, mix 3 Tbsp of shrub with 1 cup of sparkling water, sparkling wine, or a cocktail.
- If stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it will last 6-8 months. If opened, it will last about 2 months.
Serving: 3 Tbsp | Calories: 72kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Sodium: 117mg | Sugar: 15g