Grab some spoons and get ready to try the dessert of your dreams. In this easy recipe, a warm vanilla cake is topped with fresh California strawberries and baked until gooey and delicious. Serve it with two scoops of vanilla ice cream and call us in the morning. Recipe by Husbands that Cook.
Strawberry Spoon Cake
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 3 cups whole strawberries stems removed
- zest from one lemon
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk of choice room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- To make the strawberry filling, cut smaller berries in half, and cut larger berries in quarters, so all the pieces are approximately the same size.
- Place the chopped berries in a medium bowl, then add the lemon zest, sugar, and black pepper. Toss until evenly coated, then cover the bowl and let rest for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Generously grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or a 9-inch cake pan with unsalted butter and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk, vanilla, and melted butter, and whisk until smooth and blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet or cake pan and spread into an even layer.
- Spoon the strawberries and their juice over the center of the batter, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
- Bake until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve warm, with vanilla ice cream if desired, and enjoy!