A simple Latin dessert with a twist, these fluffy Sopapillas are stuffed with delicious California strawberries for a sweet treat without all the excess sugar of a traditional honey drizzle! Recipe by A Simple Pantry.
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to Collection
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp shortening
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 16 oz California strawberries
- Canola oil
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening.
- Slowly stir in warm water and mix until dough is smooth. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- While dough rests, dice up strawberries and place in a serving bowl; set aside.
- Add canola oil to a depth of 1-inch in a frying pan and heat to medium-high.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to ⅛-inch thickness and cut into 3-inch squares.
- Fry in batches until fluffy and golden brown, flipping halfway through, around 30 seconds per side.
- Drain sopapillas on paper towels, then slice open one end and stuff with diced strawberries. Serve warm or room temperature.