Syrah, also known as Shiraz, is a flavorful and full-bodied wine often noted for blackberry and pepper flavors. Combined in a glaze with strawberries, brown sugar, star anise, vanilla, and orange zest, these flavors make the perfect complement to pork chops for a healthy dinner that everyone will love.
Spicy Strawberry Syrah-Glazed Pork Chops
Yield: 4 servings
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
Strawberry Syrah Glaze
- 1½ cups syrah wine
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ tsp star anise pods
- ½ vanilla bean
- Zest of half an orange removed in strips with peeler
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup frozen California strawberries
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 4 bone-in loin pork chops
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups fresh California strawberries stemmed and halved
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
Couscous Pilaf (optional)
- 1 ⅓ cups couscous
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Pinch saffron threads
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup currants
- ⅔ cup diced dried apricots
- ⅔ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ⅔ cup pistachios
Strawberry syrah glaze:
- In a small non-reactive saucepan, combine wine, sugar, star anise, vanilla, orange zest, pepper flakes and frozen strawberries.
- Simmer over low heat until reduced to 3/4 cup. Strain into clean saucepan.
- Mix cornstarch and 1 teaspoon water; whisk into wine mixture. Simmer just until thickened.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
- In ovenproof skillet, heat oil; sear pork chops on both sides.
- Transfer skillet to oven; bake chops about 15 minutes or until they are firm to the touch and register 145°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of a chop.
- Gently heat fresh strawberries in syrah glaze.
- Mound couscous pilaf on a platter or 4 plates; sprinkle with mint.
- Plate pork chops next to couscous; spoon strawberries and glaze over and around pork chops.
- In medium skillet, sauté couscous in olive oil until golden; remove from heat.
- Heat chicken stock to a simmer with saffron threads and salt; pour over couscous.
- Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff couscous with a fork and gently mix in currants, diced dried apricots, toasted slivered almonds, and chopped pistachios.
Nutrition information calculated based on pork chops alone and does not include the Couscous Pilaf. With couscous, meal nutrition is: 1427 kcals, 123g Carbs,
Serving: 1 chop | Calories: 861kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 53g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 171mg | Sodium: 1916mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 35g