Switch it Up!Pork chops and apple sauce. *Yawn* How about an upgrade to this tired combination? Spicy Strawberry Syrah Glazed Pork Chops do just that. Syrah, also known as Shiraz, is a flavorful and full-bodied wine often noted for blackberry and pepper flavors. Combined in a glaze with strawberries, brown sugar, star anise, vanilla, and orange zest, these flavors make the perfect complement to pork chops for a healthy dinner that everyone will love.
Spicy Strawberry Syrah Glazed Pork Chops
Servings 4 servings
Strawberry Syrah Glaze
- 1½ cups syrah wine
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ tsp star anise pods
- ½ vanilla bean
- Zest of half an orange removed in strips with peeler
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup frozen California strawberries
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 4 bone-in loin pork chops
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups fresh California strawberries stemmed and halved
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
Couscous Pilaf (optional)
- 1 1/3 cups couscous
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Pinch saffron threads
- ½ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup currants
- 2/3 cup diced dried apricots
- 2/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2/3 cup pistachios
Nutrition information calculated based on pork chops alone and does not include the Couscous Pilaf.
To make strawberry syrah glaze:
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine wine, sugar, star anise, vanilla, orange zest, pepper flakes and frozen strawberries.
- Simmer over low heat until reduced to 3/4 cup. Strain into clean saucepan.
- Mix cornstarch and 1 teaspoon water; whisk into wine mixture. Simmer just until thickened.
To cook pork chops:
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
- In ovenproof skillet, heat oil; sear pork chops on both sides.
- Transfer skillet to oven; bake chops about 15 minutes or until they are firm to the touch and register 145°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of a chop.
- Gently heat fresh strawberries in syrah glaze.
- Mound couscous pilaf on a platter or 4 plates; sprinkle with mint.
- Plate pork chops next to couscous; spoon strawberries and glaze over and around pork chops.
To make Couscous Pilaf:
- In medium skillet, sauté couscous in olive oil until golden; remove from heat.
- Heat chicken stock to a simmer with saffron threads and salt; pour over couscous.
- Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff couscous with a fork and gently mix in currants, diced dried apricots, toasted slivered almonds, and chopped pistachios.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 615kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 149mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 35gPrint