Strawberry Tamales with Strawberry Jam
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- #30 ice cream scoop
- Stand mixer
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¾ lbs *lard
- 2 lbs Instant Corn Masa Mix
- 2 ½ tbsp baking powder
- *34g freeze dried strawberries
- 1 cup strawberry puree
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 8 oz strawberry jam
- In a medium saucepan, mix the water, sugar and cinnamon and boil for 15 minutes. When finished, let cool and set aside for later use.
- In a standing mixer, beat lard for 5 minutes on medium-high speed until almost transparent.
- Add baking powder and one-fourth of instant corn masa mix at a time to the lard, beating between additions until thoroughly incorporated.
- Then add sweet cinnamon water, puree, red food coloring and freeze dried strawberry powder one at a time and continue beating until dough is light and has a dip-like texture. This will take approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile soak the corn husk in warm water for about 20 minutes or until soft and pliable, rise and strain thoroughly.
- On a medium sized husk, place two scoops of strawberry masa. EVEN it out (not spread), then place about half a tbsp of strawberry jam in the middle of the masa, pushing it in slightly.
- Note: If the corn husk is not wide enough, you may layer two husks to form a medium-sized tamal.
- Fold one side of the husk towards the center, and then the other. After that, fold up the bottom part where the two ends have come together and direct to middle part of tamal.
- Wrap it in white sandwich wrap, placing the opening part of the tamal upward and place in steamer. Then cook on Medium-High Speed for 1 hour.
- Serve warm to guests!