Sweet strawberries sub in for tomatoes in this summery caprese salad. With greens, grains, and protein, this strawberry walnut caprese salad is filling enough for a full meal. Swap out the arugula, wild rice, or walnuts for whatever you prefer or have on hand! Recipe by Snixy Kitchen.
Strawberry Walnut Caprese Salad
Yield: 2 Main Servings
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1½ cups cooked wild rice chilled
- 3 Tbsp Canola oil plus more for drizzling (extra virgin olive oil can be used, but would increase the amount of saturated fat).
- 1 Tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar
- ½ small garlic clove pressed or minced
- ¼ tsp each kosher salt and pepper
- 3 oz baby arugula
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves torn or sliced thin
- 2 oz fresh ciliegine mozzarella small balls, halved or quartered
- 8 oz California strawberries hulled and sliced
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts chopped
- Prepare the wild rice according to the package directions in advance, chilling or letting it cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Canola oil, balsamic, garlic, and half of the salt and pepper until smooth and homogenous. Taste and adjust to your liking (see note).
- Layer the wild rice on the bottom of a large salad bowl. Gently toss with arugula and a teaspoon olive oil. Toss in fresh basil and top with mozzarella, sliced strawberries, and toasted walnuts.
- Drizzle with balsamic to taste and finish with another pinch of salt and pepper. Toss before serving.
This is a super simple balsamic vinaigrette, but each balsamic vinegar is a bit different, so taste and adjust to your liking. You may find you prefer a bit more vinegar, salt, or pepper. Feel free to add ½ teaspoon honey if you prefer it sweeter.
Serving: 0.5 Salad | Calories: 572kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 273mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin C: 74mg
4 Comments on “Strawberry Walnut Caprese Salad”
MarleneJuly 1, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Looks so good..thank you so much for sharing recipes…
CA StrawberriesJuly 2, 2020 at 10:30 am
It’s our pleasure!
NancyAugust 21, 2020 at 6:21 pm
What do you do with the rice?
CA StrawberriesAugust 24, 2020 at 9:58 am
Thank you for asking. We updated the recipe to include adding the rice to the bowl before tossing. Enjoy!