These are deep fried boiled eggs that tend to pop up on special occasions. It’s exactly as it sounds; the eggs are soft or hard boiled, peeled and then deep fried. It’s traditionally served with a drizzle of sweet, spicy and tart tamarind gastrique and garnished with fried shallots. This sauce is super versatile and essentially a great recipe for “Strawberry Sweet & Sour Sauce”. Recipe by Arnold Myint.
Thai Son in Law Eggs with Strawberry Tamarind Sauce
Yield: 24 Persons
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 12 Eggs
- 4 ounces Palm Sugar 2 discs/coins or Brown Sugar can work too.
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Tamarind Concentrate 1/2 cup Water
- ¼ cup Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp Distilled Vinegar
- 8-10 dried chile peppers Arbol, Japanese or Thai work well.
- 12-16 oz Strawberries halved 2 Shallots
- Cilantro for garnish Fry Oil
- Corn Starch Rice Flour
The Fried Boiled Eggs:
- Hard boil eggs with standard technique and peel. Once cooled, pat dry and lightly coat in equal parts corn starch and rice flour. Fry in 325 degree oil until crispy and toasty brown.
- Place ingredients except for strawberries into a sauce pot and dissolve sugar. Reduce liquid by 1/3 until viscous and sticky. Remove chile peppers and add strawberries while liquid is still hot. Simmer for a few minutes and remove from heat. Allow the sauce to cool. Strain the strawberries.
- Use store bought from the Asian Market or thin slice shallots and toss in a sprinkle of salt. Dust with corn starch and fry in 325 degree oil until golden. Remove and save for garnish.
- Halve the fried boiled eggs, drizzle with strawberry sauce, garnish with dress chile, fried shallot and cilantro.