These Chickpea Lettuce Wraps with Strawberries are the perfect quick summer recipe, especially if you’re looking for a fun way to eat your greens. Each wrap is loaded with chickpeas sauteed in a delicious garlic and ginger-infused sauce and topped off with sweet grilled strawberries. Recipe by Catherine Perez.
Chickpea Lettuce Wraps with Strawberries
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to Collection
- Grill pan/Griddle
- 1 cup strawberries halved
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 15.5 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp avocado oil or your preferred neutral oil
- ½ medium red onion diced
- salt to taste
- 1 head of butter lettuce washed
- cilantro and lime for garnishing
- Cook strawberries on a heated griddle or grill pan and cook for about 1 minute on each side, until grill marks form. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lime juice, maple syrup, sesame oil, and corn starch until well combined. Set aside.
- Remove extra moisture from the drained chickpeas by placing them in a clean kitchen towel and patting them dry.
- Heat avocado oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat, then add red onions along with a pinch of salt. Sauté the onion for about 4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the chickpeas and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared sauce to the chickpea mixture and cook for 1-3 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce cooks down and thickens.
- To assemble, take one lettuce leaf and top with ½ cup of the chickpea mixture and grilled strawberries.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.