These Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting are such a special treat. Whether it’s Valentine’s Day or just a good day to show some love, everyone is flattered by surprises – chocolate cupcakes with a strawberry heart surprise are a wonderful way to go!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup baking cocoa
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup fresh brewed coffee
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 14 - 16 strawberries hulled
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup unsalted butter at room temperature (optional for a thicker and creamier frosting)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a bowl combine the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Using a paring knife, core out a well down into each cupcake, for your hulled strawberry to fit into. Stick the strawberry pointy side down into your cupcakes. Take the piece of the cupcake that you cut out, and place it on top of the strawberry, after you push it down into the cupcake.
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter, if using with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar, until smooth. Add strawberries, lemon zest, and lemon juice and beat until well combined. Spread frosting on cupcakes with a spatula or use a piping bag.