These Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting are such a special treat. Whether it’s Valentine’s Day or just a good day to show some love, everyone is flattered by surprises – chocolate cupcakes with a strawberry heart surprise are a wonderful way to go!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield: 14 -16 cupcakes
Moist and tender chocolate buttermilk and coffee cupcakes with homemade strawberry cream cheese frosting make Valentine's Day extra sweet with California Strawberries.
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup baking cocoa
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup fresh brewed coffee
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 14 - 16 strawberries hulled
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup unsalted butter at room temperature (optional for a thicker and creamier frosting)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a bowl combine the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Using a paring knife, core out a well down into each cupcake, for your hulled strawberry to fit into. Stick the strawberry pointy side down into your cupcakes. Take the piece of the cupcake that you cut out, and place it on top of the strawberry, after you push it down into the cupcake.
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter, if using with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar, until smooth. Add strawberries, lemon zest, and lemon juice and beat until well combined. Spread frosting on cupcakes with a spatula or use a piping bag.
28 Comments on “Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting”
Becky CareyJanuary 31, 2017 at 3:39 am
I love strawberries and Target! Thanks farmers!
Tina AlexanderJanuary 31, 2017 at 4:07 am
This is a recipe that I would love to make with the assistance of my kids! It would be both fun and delicious!
Susan P.February 2, 2017 at 9:34 am
This looks like a great recipe for Valentine’s Day.
HeatherFebruary 2, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Such a sweet surprise! Definitely borrowing this idea for angel food cake “muffins” — thanks.
RhondaFebruary 2, 2017 at 7:23 pm
Can’t go wrong with chocolate and strawberries! Yum!
Sandy SimonsFebruary 3, 2017 at 2:26 am
LOVE my California Strawberries with the Cupcake Surprise!
The two together are always a crowd pleaser! Happy Valentine’s Day to everyone!
Angie WrightFebruary 3, 2017 at 5:36 am
What a perfect baking idea for me and the kids! Thanks :)
Jennifer EssadFebruary 4, 2017 at 3:58 am
it’s really sweet to smash fresh fruit and add to the frosting giving it extra fruity taste
Kathy LaneFebruary 5, 2017 at 4:33 am
Thanks for sharing this recipe. It will be a welcome addition to my Valentine’s Day meal for my family.
shannon fowlerFebruary 13, 2017 at 4:11 am
I really disliked strawberries as a kid, but i tried them again just a few months ago and now I love them. These are some fabulous ideas to make for valentines day!
Jilliann MFebruary 13, 2017 at 8:09 pm
These look delicious, especially the frosting!
Rajee PandiFebruary 14, 2017 at 1:45 am
Love to try the recipe
Robin ChesserFebruary 14, 2017 at 2:47 am
Love strawberries with chocolate.
Linda DavidsonFebruary 14, 2017 at 2:49 am
Love strawberries and chocolate. Will try this recipe, it looks delicious.
Chanda NeakFebruary 14, 2017 at 2:55 am
MMmm strawberry is my favorite.
terri gallegosFebruary 14, 2017 at 3:01 am
who doesn’t love chocolate and strawberries perfect combination! !
Lisa MFebruary 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Merry GrahamFebruary 14, 2017 at 3:41 am
What a darling idea! I am so glad you posted this cupcake! Thanks!
Mary RiosFebruary 14, 2017 at 3:51 am
Strawberries and chocolate. Nothing better than that!
Olivia HoFebruary 14, 2017 at 3:58 am
These look so delicious and perfect to get in the mood for Valentine’s!
MagBFebruary 14, 2017 at 4:05 am
THe perfect recipe for frosting, thanks for posting!
sharon danielsFebruary 14, 2017 at 4:47 am
these look awesome I am definitely going to make them
Amy TongFebruary 14, 2017 at 4:49 am
Love my farmers and CA strawberries! This is an awesome recipe. :)
VANESSA MUSIFebruary 14, 2017 at 5:05 am
This is stunning! As a baker, I love adding strawberries to my desserts, and what a better way to add strawberries into a chocolate cupcake! What an amazing recipe btw, so creative. I fell in love with the photo you shared on Instagram. My husband loves chocolate, strawberries and the frosting will remind him of the breakfast I made him where he fell in love with me. It would be a great recipe to make in the heart bundt cake too :)
Kimberly Parker BentonFebruary 14, 2017 at 5:10 am
All of these look so very yummy. Thank you for sharing .
Katie WFebruary 14, 2017 at 5:13 am
The pan is too cute!
Donna W.February 14, 2017 at 5:29 am
I am definitely going to try this recipe. My taste buds are going crazy looking at this!
CarolsueFebruary 14, 2017 at 5:46 am
Those cupcakes stuffed with strawberries looks SOOOO good!