Concha Stuffed with Chocolate-Nut Spread and Strawberries
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- ½ cup + 1/8 cup soy milk room temperature
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Yukon gold potato cooked and mashed
- ½ cup vegan butter cubed and softened
- 1/3 cup vegan butter softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon optional
Vegan Chocolate-Nut Spread:
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup avocado diced
- 1 pint strawberries sliced
For the Conchas:
- In a medium bowl, mix the yeast in the soy milk. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using hook attachment, combine the flour, salt and sugar. Mix at low speed for 1 minute.
- Add the mashed potato to the yeast-milk mixture, and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix on low with the dough hook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the softened butter, a little at a time, and increase speed to medium. Mix for 15 minutes until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is smooth and stretchy, but not sticky. (If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.)
- Place the dough in a large, greased bowl; cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
For the Topping:
- While the dough is rising make the topping. Cream butter and sugar with a whisk or hand mixer. Add vanilla, flour, and cinnamon; mix well. Knead lightly to fully incorporate. It should have the consistency of a soft play-dough. If it’s too sticky or wet add flour in small amounts until you’ve reached the right consistency.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces weighing about 2.5 oz. Roll them tightly into rounds and place on a sheet tray lined with parchment. Press down on the rounds to form a dome shape.
- Divide topping into 10 balls and roll each into the size of a large gumball. Using two sheets of plastic wrap, place one ball of the topping between the two plastic sheets and press down with hand until it is large enough to cover the top of concha.
- Peel one side of the plastic wrap off; then take the piece of plastic wrap with the topping on it and place it down on the concha. Slowly peel off the plastic wrap. Repeat this process until all 10 conchas are done.
- Using a concha cutter, dusted with flour, press down on the topping and the concha to make the design. (Don’t be afraid to press down hard and flatten the concha a little.)
- Let conchas rise in a warm place (70- 75°F), for 40 min – 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 -25 minutes or until the sides and bottoms of conchas are golden brown. Let bread cool completely before eating.
To make the Chocolate-Nut Spread:
- Place the coconut oil and soaked cashews in the food processor and process until the mixture has the texture of peanut butter, about 6 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in 10-second intervals in the microwave or over a double boiler on the stove. Add chocolate to cashew mixture and process for 3 minutes. Add vanilla, avocado, and oat milk. Process until smooth. Place chocolate spread in the fridge to firm up or spread as is.
- To Serve: Cut conchas in half lengthwise, spread chocolate on both sides and add sliced strawberries in the middle.