Flaky and buttery strawberry pop tarts with a homemade crust, sweet strawberry filling and vanilla glaze make the best breakfast! Recipe by Tutti Dolci.
Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
Yield: 12 Poptarts
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- food processor
- 3 cup sliced strawberries fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cubed
- 8 oz cold full fat cream cheese cubed
- ¼ to ½ cup ice water
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp water
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- freeze dried strawberries optional garnish
- Prepare filling: Place strawberries in a heavy saucepan and stir continuously over medium-low heat until juices are released from the berries. Bring strawberries to a boil over medium-high heat. Add sugar, stirring to combine. Use a wooden spoon to crush and mash the strawberries for a smooth texture. Sir in lemon juice. Continue cooking until the mixture thickens, slowly bubbles, and coats the back of the spoon. Pour the filling into a clean glass bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate filling overnight until completely chilled.
- Prepare dough: For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and cream cheese and process for 15 to 20 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 1/4 cup ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Divide dough into two equal portions. Wrap each portion in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Roll dough: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out until dough is about 1/8″ thick.
- Use a 2 1/2 x 4-inch rectangular cookie cutter (or sharp knife) to cut out 12 rectangles of dough per disc (re-roll scraps once). Transfer rectangles to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with second disc of dough, for a total of 24 rectangles.
- Assemble pop tarts: Pipe or spoon 1 tablespoon filling in the center of 12 rectangles, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Whisk egg white and water together in a small bowl. Lightly brush the edges of the pastry with egg white mixture and top with the remaining rectangles. Press edges firmly to seal and crimp the edges with the back of a fork (dust fork with flour first). Chill assembled pop tarts for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Use a fork or wooden skewer to prick the tops of the pop tarts for steam to escape. Brush tops with heavy cream.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pop tarts are golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy cream until smooth. Drizzle or spread glaze over pop tarts and let set before serving. If desired, sprinkle pop tarts with freeze dried strawberries.
Strawberry filling can be made ahead and chilled for 1-2 days.
5 Comments on “Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts”
IsabelNovember 2, 2021 at 11:21 am
Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it!
ValenciaNovember 12, 2021 at 3:13 pm
I like the recipe it look so nice
CA StrawberriesNovember 12, 2021 at 3:17 pm
GlennysApril 30, 2022 at 7:30 am
Could store bought phyllo pastry sheets be used for this recipe?
CA StrawberriesJune 27, 2022 at 11:06 am