Looking to put a fresh spin on dessert? Try these Layered Strawberry Tres Leches Cakes from Mami Talks. Fresh California strawberries are used in two of the layers in this dessert, making this treat a strawberry-lover’s dream come true. Layering the ingredients in 4-oz mason jars shows off the beautiful combination of colors and ingredients, and would make great individualized desserts for cookouts, picnics, or even a summer time wedding.
Layered Strawberry Tres Leches Cakes
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to Collection
- 6 large eggs yolks and whites separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup 2 percent milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 10 oz can condensed milk
- 1 10 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup 2 percent milk
- 2 cups fresh quartered California strawberries
- ½ cup water
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 20 fresh quartered California strawberries
- 8, 4 oz mason jars
To make Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks then add the sugar little by little, then the yolks and the vanilla. Turn off the mixer and alternate folding in the flour and milk so that the volume is not lowered. Mix them in slowly to integrate everything.
- Pour mixture into a greased 11" round cake mold
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow cake to cool for about 20 minutes; remove from mold and set aside.
- Using a round cookie cutter or jar, cut the cake in circles and place them on a deep platter.
- Combine all milks together in a bowl and slowly pour over the mini cakes. Allow the cakes to absorb the milk mixture for about 1-2 hours in the fridge.
To make Strawberry Sauce:
- In a blender, blend strawberries on high speed until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, heat water and sugar until boiling. Carefully add to blender with the strawberries. Add the lemon juice and blend.
- Pour the sauce mixture back into the saucepan and heat on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, mixing occasionally. You may want to discard the foam that forms in the beginning. Heat sauce until desired consistency. Turn off the heat, and let cool in the refrigerator for about an hour before making the jars.
- Start with a layer of fresh strawberries in each 4 oz mason jar
- Add about 4 teaspoons of strawberry sauce.
- Add one mini tres leches cake.
- Layer more fresh strawberries
- Add another mini tres leches cake.
- Top with whipped cream and a strawberry.