For a strawberry twist on the typical dinner routine, this Macadamia Crusted Halibut and Grilled Strawberry Relish is a great idea. This recipe is a great way to switch things up a little and surprise your fellow diners (kids, partners, parents, pets, etc.) while trying something new and delicious. Also, both fish and strawberries are great for heart health! Take a break from your regular – you’ll be glad you tried this one. Enjoy!
Macadamia Crusted Halibut & Grilled Strawberry Relish
Servings 4 , 6 oz filets
Grilled Strawberry Relish
- 16 medium to large fresh California strawberries stemmed and cut in half
- 2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp macadamia nut or vegetable oil
- Salt and white pepper
- 3 sprigs mint leaves only, cut into very thin strips
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp finely chopped lime zest
Summer Strawberry Butter
- 1 cup white wine
- ½ cup fresh California strawberries stemmed and sliced
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
Macadamia Crusted Halibut
- ½ cup toasted macadamia nuts
- ½ cup panko Japanese bread crumbs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs lightly whisked
- 4 halibut fillets 6 ounces each
To make Grilled Strawberry Relish:
- Toss halved strawberries with 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt and pepper.
- On a gas or charcoal grill, or under a charbroiler, grill strawberries about 30 seconds on each side. Refrigerate until cold.
- Toss with mint, lime juice and lime zest; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
To make Summer Strawberry Butter:
- In a small saucepan over low heat, simmer wine, sliced strawberries, lemon juice and sugar until thick.
- Whisk in butter, one tablespoon at a time, until emulsified; season with salt and pepper.
To make Macadamia Crusted Halibut:
- Chop macadamia nuts roughly by hand or pulse in food processor. Mix with panko; season with salt.
- Season flour with salt and pepper.
- Place panko mixture, flour and eggs in 3 shallow bowls.
- Season halibut with salt and pepper; lightly dredge one side of each filet in flour, patting off excess. Dip floured side of filet into eggs, then into panko mixture, patting to make sure that panko adheres.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Cook fillets, crust side down, until golden. With a spatula, turn over carefully and cook until a small knife inserted into fish meets no resistance.
- Spoon summer strawberry butter onto 4 plates, place halibut on top. Garnish with grilled strawberry relish.