Pink Velvet Swiss Roll
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to Collection
- Stand mixer with whisk attachment, pink food coloring
For the cake
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp cake flour
- 2 Tbsp buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp pink food coloring
- 6 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 +1/2 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4-5 sliced fresh strawberries
- Leftover filling
- 1-2 sliced fresh strawberries
FOR THE CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter or spray with a nonstick spray, a 9x12 inch baking sheet, line it with parchment paper, and then butter and dust with flour the parchment paper.
- Sift the cake flour and set it aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar at high speed, until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes. Lower the speed and add oil and buttermilk just for 30 seconds. Add flour to the whipped eggs very slowly and carefully at the lowest speed. You should be so careful at this point, if you deflate the eggs you won’t get good results. Lastly, add food coloring and mix until combine for just a few more seconds. Pour the batter into your prepared pan, spreading evenly with an offset spatula. Bake for about 12-13 minutes or a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake will come out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down just for 2 minutes. Heavily dust the top of a clean towel with powdered sugar and then invert the cake onto the towel (the powdered sugar will prevent the cake from sticking to the towel). Remove the parchment paper, dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar again, and gently roll up the sponge cake, with the towel (this helps prevent cracking and sets the log shape). Place on a wire rack to cool.
FOR THE FILLING
- During this time make the filling, with an electric hand mixer, mix mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add and cold heavy whipping cream slowly while mixing on high speed, about 2 minutes more.
- Gently and very slowly unroll the cake. Spread ¾ of the filling on top, spread with a spatula. Place the sliced strawberries and gently roll the cake back up, without the towel this time. Roll it slowly. Carefully place on aboard. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Trim the edges and decorate with leftover filling and fresh sliced strawberries.