Strawberries + Cream Layered Cake
Servings 12 -16 slices
Vanilla Sponge Cake
- 6 large eggs at room temperature (or sitting in warm water for about 10 minutes)
- ¾ cup of caster sugar can use regular sugar if needed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp of lemon zest
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp 1 oz of unsalted butter, melted
Strawberry and Cream Layers
- 2½ to 3 cups of chilled heavy whipping cream adjust based on how thick you want the cream layers
- 5-6 Tbsp of honey add more or less to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp of lemon zest
- 2 lbs of ripe strawberries washed and sliced, reserve about 5-10 of the smallest and nicest ones (with leaves on) to decorate the top of the cake
Nutrition information calculated based on a 16 slice yield.
To make the Vanilla Sponge Cake:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease and flour 2, 8-inch round cake pans, then line the base of each pan with parchment or baking paper.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat the eggs until you have a thick creamy pale mix that has tripled in volume, about 10 minutes.
- Sift the flour, then use a wood or metal spoon to gently fold in the sifted flour to the creamy egg mix; it works best to add the flour in small batches.
- Add the melted butter and gently fold it in to the cake batter mix.
- Pour the batter, in equal amounts, into the cake pans and then gently tap/drop the pans on the counter to remove any large air bubbles.
- Bake the cakes in the pre-heated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the cakes are golden and springy – the edges of the cake will also start to separate from the pan.
- Unmold the cakes and let them cool down completely. Right before assembling the layer cake, place each sponge cake on a flat surface and use a long serrated knife to cut through the middle (horizontally).
To make the Strawberry and Cream Layers:
- Place the heavy whipping cream in large mixing bowl, stir in the honey, vanilla and lemon zest. Use an electric mixer to whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate the whipped cream for about 30 minutes before using.
- You can either assemble it directly on the cake platter or use a round cardboard cake base – this will make it easier to move around and transfer it to a serving platter.
- Place a layer of sliced strawberries on top of the first cake layer, add whipped cream and use a small narrow spatula to evenly distribute the cream over the strawberries, and then add another layer of sliced strawberries.
- Add the second cake layer and repeat the same process until you have added the final cake layer.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream on the top layer and add the reserved strawberries to decorate the top of cake. You can use a mix of whole strawberries and halved/quarter strawberries. Chill the cake for at least an hour before serving.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 0.6g | Cholesterol: 124mg | Sodium: 40mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20gPrint