These decadent homemade cinnamon rolls are filled with sweet strawberry sauce and covered in cream cheese frosting. Substitute in plant milk and vegan butter for an easy vegan option!
Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1 cup milk
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For strawberry filling:
- 2 cups California strawberries frozen
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
For cinnamon filling:
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 4 Tbsp butter softened
For cream cheese frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- First, heat the milk and melt down the butter. Mix together and then let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add flour, yeast, salt, and sugar to a large bowl. Then add milk, butter, and vanilla.
- Using a stand mixer with a dough hook or a spatula, fold ingredients together until combined. Add 2 Tbsp of milk if needed so that dough is soft, but not sticky.
- Knead for about 5 minutes until the dough is soft and smooth. Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover with cling wrap. Let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- While the dough sits, make the strawberry filling. Over medium heat, combine strawberries, sugar, and arrowroot powder. Stir until it is thickened for about 10 minutes. Use a potato masher to break down the strawberries. Remove from heat and let cool.
- After 15 minutes, roll the dough onto a floured surface so that it creates a large rectangle (about 9 x 14 inches).
- Mix cinnamon and brown sugar in a bowl. Spread 4 Tbsp softened or melted butter across the entirety of the dough, then sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly across the dough surface. Use your fingers to rub the cinnamon sugar into the dough.
- Spread the strawberry filling evenly on top of the layer of cinnamon filling.
- Roll the dough up tightly, then slice into 8 even pieces. Place the rolls into a greased baking dish. Cover with cling wrap and leave at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the rolls for 25-30 minutes.
- While rolls are baking, make the cream cheese frosting. Beat all frosting ingredients together until smooth. Leave at room temperature.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool. Then spread the cream cheese frosting on top and enjoy!
Serving: 1 roll | Calories: 614kcal | Carbohydrates: 106g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 540mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 51g