This Strawberry Empanada recipe by Ana Frias of Muy Delish is deliciously mouthwatering. These buttery empanadas will melt in your mouth, and the best part is this recipe makes 20 empanadas, perfect to store and snack on during the day.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 ½ sticks 1 ¼ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs divided
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract optional
- 8-10 Tbsp water room temperature
- butter spray
- 2 cups fresh strawberries diced
- sugar for dusting strawberries and empanadas optional
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, kosher salt, and cinnamon together.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add 1 egg, sugar, vanilla extract and 4 tablespoons of water.
- Knead the mixture a few times in the bowl just until you can gather the dough together.
- Place the dough on a clean counter and continue to knead the dough adding two tablespoons of water at a time (about 8 to 10 tablespoons total). Note: The dough is ready when it no longer sticks to the counter and it does not look dry.
- Continue to knead about 3 to 5 minutes; then form dough into a disk, wrap with plastic, and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Add butter spray to a baking sheet and set aside.
- Remove chilled dough from the refrigerator and divide into 4 equal portions. Roll out dough onto lightly floured surface to about 1/4 to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out circles of dough about 4-6 inches in diameter.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the diced strawberries into the center of the dough circle. Fold the dough over the filling to make a half-moon- shaped pie and crimp the edges of the crust together with a fork, leaving little fork lines in the dough. Gently lay the empanadas onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Beat one egg in a small bowl with a little bit of water and brush the top of each empanada.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the empanadas’ edges start to turn golden brown, about 22 to 25 minutes.
- Immediately dust with sugar if using.
- These are best eaten warm and can be reheated in a low oven or microwave for about 12 to 15 seconds.