If you feel too rushed to eat right, check out this recipe for Strawberry Overnight Oats from guest blogger Christy Wilson, RD! As a registered dietitian, I have made a conscious effort to reach out to my community for the past several years to spread the word about the month-long nutrition campaign, National Nutrition Month (NNM) that the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics started back in 1973. It’s such a pleasure to do cooking demonstrations at elementary schools, speak to community organizations and find fun ways to remind everyone how eating well can benefit lives. The 2016 NNM theme is “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right,” which encourages everyone to take time to enjoy food traditions and appreciate the great flavors and social experiences food can add to our lives. One way I “savor the flavor of eating right” is by eating foods that taste good and are good for me and my family – like delicious California Strawberries. Did you know only eight strawberries a day can support brain & heart health, help manage diabetes and reduce the risk of some cancers?
Here are a few more fun strawberry facts:
- One serving of strawberries (8 medium) has only 50 calories and more vitamin C than an orange
- Strawberries contain blood pressure lowering potassium, folate, along with a variety of health-boosting antioxidants
- In just 8 strawberries you get 3 grams of heart healthy fiber and a mere 8 grams of natural sugar
Strawberry Overnight Oats
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 8 hours
Total Time 8 hours 15 minutes
Servings 1 serving
- ½ cup rolled oats also labelled Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 container 5.3 oz vanilla flavored low-fat Greek style yogurt
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp honey
- 8 strawberries chopped and divided into two servings
- 1/3 cup light vanilla soy milk or any milk of your choice
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp sliced almonds
- In a 16-oz mason jar, add oats, yogurt, chia seeds, honey, four chopped strawberries, milk and cinnamon. Stir ingredients to combine and cover jar with a lid.
- Refrigerate oat mixture overnight or for 8 hours.
- To prepare oats, top mixture with remaining strawberries and top with sliced almonds.