Winter Strawberry Cake
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Cooling Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Servings 1 9" Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp strawberry puree
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 cups frozen California Strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-in round cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- In a medium bowl mix the oil, almond milk, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely in the pans.
- Beat the butter or vegetable margarine in a large bowl with an electric mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until smooth.
- Lower the speed and 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar, mix until creamy. Add the strawberry puree, mix well. Add the rest of confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat until high speed until light and fluffy. If needed add almond milk to thin the frosting.
- In a medium saucepan, add the strawberries and the sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat occasionally stirring until the strawberries thaw and the sugar dissolves.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20-35 minutes. Puree and let it cool.
- When cakes are cooled completely, gently unmold them. Place one cake on a cake stand and spread a layer of frosting over the cake. Spread a layer of frosting on the top. Lightly frost the sides with the remaining frosting.