Quesitos (Puerto Rican Quesitos)
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1 17 oz package puﬀ pastry (Pepperidge Farm Puﬀ Pastry Frozen Sheets are vegan)
- 2/3 cup plain vegan cream cheese like Kite Hill
- 3-4 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter melted
- 2 Tbsp cane sugar
- 2 cups strawberries sliced
- Remove puﬀ pastry from freezer and cream cheese from fridge one hour before preparing.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Unwrap the puﬀ pastry and cut into 6 even rectangles.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the vegan cream cheese and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar. Mix into cream cheese, then add one additional tablespoon.
- Add the salt, mix again and taste for sweetness. Add an extra tablespoon of powdered sugar for a sweeter filling.
- Add about a tablespoon of cream cheese filling to each pastry square, leaving 1/4-inch border on each side.
- Roll up, using your index finger to seal each side by pressing down gently.
- Repeat with the other puﬀ pastry squares to make a total of 12.
- Place the filled pastry squares on a baking sheet (lined or unlined depending on your baking sheet).
- Brush each quesito with melted vegan butter and sprinkle with cane sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Let the quesitos cool for a couple minutes.
- Top with sliced strawberries. Gently press down into the pastry and add a sprinkle of extra cane sugar if desired.